StreetATK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to StreetATK, your home for automotive enthusiasts: Local events, Aggressive Fitment, Drift, Drag, VIP, Top Speed et al... Respect for proper Street Driven tuners.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

FC3S / EVO upgrade

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BoostedFC

BoostedFC

FC3S / EVO upgrade Empty
PostSubject: FC3S / EVO upgrade   FC3S / EVO upgrade Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 2:06 pm

I didn't see a spot for brakes so I thought here would be fine. I saw this on another site & decided to post it here. the swap as this guy has done seems to be nice
The front EVO brake conversion is being done and documented by a few FC folks. Here I will cover both the front and rear conversion I am doing to one of my FCs.

Feel free to ask questions or offer criticism based on your own experiences.

We'll start with some pics and brief descriptions.
FC3S / EVO upgrade 100_1692-1

Rotor comparison, stock on the left, EVO on the right. Front on the top, rear on the bottom.
FC3S / EVO upgrade 100_1706

Rear on the left, front on the right.

FC3S / EVO upgrade 100_1700

Calipers, EVO front and rear and factory 4 piston

FC3S / EVO upgrade 100_1704

Front EVO caliper and rotor mounted on FC spindle. The rotor has been turned down roughly 1/8" in diameter to just under 12 1/2" and the center bore has been enlarged to fit the FC hub. The calipers require swapping the bleeder screws and transfer tube from end to end. This is due to the EVO caliper's staggered piston diameters and their orientation on the EVO. They are mounted on the front side of the axle from Mitsubishi and get pushed to the back on the FC. The first thought is to just swap them from side to side in order to keep the bleeders on top, but because this places to pistons in the wrong order under rotation they must be keep on their correct sides. So the bleeders must be switched to the top and the transfer tube to the bottom.

FC3S / EVO upgrade 100_1697

Modified front knuckles.

FC3S / EVO upgrade 100_1699

Close up of mounting ears. The threads are drilled out with a 12mm bit so the bolt now passes through the knuckle and threads into the caliper. The mounting surface has been milled down .035" to properly center the caliper over the rotor.
FC3S / EVO upgrade 100_1702

Rear rotor on FC hub. Because the EVO rotor's center bore is larger than the FC's I machined a spacer to take up the space, very similar to a hub centric spacer for aftermarket wheels. It was rough cut from a piece of 6061 1/4" thick aluminum plate with some hole saws and then finished on a lathe.

FC3S / EVO upgrade 100_1707

The only machining required on the rear rotors is on the parking brake drum area. It protrudes from the hub a bit to far and interferes with the knuckle.
FC3S / EVO upgrade 100_1695

FC3S / EVO upgrade 100_1696-1

Rear knuckles. Here is where many people will shy away from this project. The original caliper mounting ears are cut off and a new bracket cut from 1/2" thick 6061 aluminum is welded to the knuckle. The bracket rests very well on a flat surface on the backside of the knuckle and will require less than .040" of shim to locate the caliper correctly over the rotor. The two allen head bolts are only to hold the bracket in place during the welding, I just left them in place afterwards.
Jacj3

FC3S / EVO upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: FC3S / EVO upgrade   FC3S / EVO upgrade Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 1:09 pm

Yeah this is the write up I was looking for, on BI very nice
Back to top Go down
https://streetatk.forumotion.com
BoostedFC

BoostedFC

FC3S / EVO upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: FC3S / EVO upgrade   FC3S / EVO upgrade Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 4:50 pm

Yeah I posted it there too, just to give another option for us FC guys
Back to top Go down
98ludedude

98ludedude

FC3S / EVO upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: FC3S / EVO upgrade   FC3S / EVO upgrade Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 6:12 pm

looks great gl should stop on a dime
Back to top Go down
BoostedFC

BoostedFC

FC3S / EVO upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: FC3S / EVO upgrade   FC3S / EVO upgrade Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 6:31 pm

The Turbo II 4 Piston front brakes are nice, but there's always room for improvement.
Back to top Go down
Jacj3
Admin
Jacj3

FC3S / EVO upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: FC3S / EVO upgrade   FC3S / EVO upgrade Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 8:47 pm

Well with the kinda power my FC should be making I'll need some stopping power
Back to top Go down
https://streetatk.forumotion.com
BoostedFC

BoostedFC

FC3S / EVO upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: FC3S / EVO upgrade   FC3S / EVO upgrade Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 9:09 pm

Yep horsepower is great, but stopping power is a must.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

FC3S / EVO upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: FC3S / EVO upgrade   FC3S / EVO upgrade Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

FC3S / EVO upgrade
Page 1 of 1